Mamaroneck means “the place where the sweet waters fall into the sea,”

History of the Town of Mamaroneck

Mamaroneck, a Native American name translated as “the place where the sweet waters fall into the sea,” is located just twenty-three miles north of New York City. Established at the mouth of a river and at the head of a harbor, John Richbell a London merchant living in Oyster Bay purchased the land in 1661 from the local Siwanoy Indians for a supply of tools, kettles, clothing and wampum.

Forty years later a town census recorded seventy-seven residents. Descendents of some of these original families still reside in the area. By 1700 the population had grown to eighty-four with most settlers living on the “East Neck,” the present Village of Mamaroneck.

During the Revolutionary War Westchester County declared its neutrality and Mamaroneck was unhappily sandwiched between the Colonial Headquarters north of Peekskill and the British forces in New York City. Without either civil or military protection its residents were often pillaged by both sides.

On May 17, 1788, the Town of Mamaroneck was officially created by an act of the New York State Legislature. During the Civil War citizens were divided in their political affiliations, although a majority voted Democrat in the election 1860.

18th and 19th Century residents earned their livelihoods by farming, fishing, lumbering and milling. Manufacturing arrived with the 19th century and most was located (as it is today) in the Mamaroneck Village section. Larchmont Village and the Unincorporated Town were, and largely remain, residential.

 

http://mamaroneckhistory.homestead.com/mamaroneckhistory.html

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.